J-P Contreras con Splunk 7 Essentials, Third Edition: Demystify machine data by leveraging datasets, building reports, and sharing powerful insights, 3rd Edition (English Edition)
Transform machine data into powerful analytical intelligence using Splunk
- Analyze and visualize machine data to step into the world of Splunk!
- Leverage the exceptional analysis and visualization capabilities to make informed decisions for your business
- This easy-to-follow, practical book can be used by anyone - even if you have never managed data before
Splunk is a search, reporting, and analytics software platform for machine data, which has an ever-growing market adoption rate. More organizations than ever are adopting Splunk to make informed decisions in areas such as IT operations, information security, and the Internet of Things.
The first two chapters of the book will get you started with a simple Splunk
installation and set up of a sample machine data generator, called Eventgen.
After this, you will learn to create various reports, dashboards, and alerts. You will
also explore Splunk's Pivot functionality to model data for business users. You
will then have the opportunity to test-drive Splunk's powerful HTTP Event Collector. After covering the core Splunk functionality, you'll be provided with some real-world best practices for using Splunk, and information on how to build upon what you've learned in this book.
Throughout the book, there will be additional comments and best practice
recommendations from a member of the SplunkTrust Community, called
"Tips from the Fez".
What you will learn
- Install and configure Splunk for personal use
- Store event data in Splunk indexes, classify events into sources, and add
- data fields
- Learn essential Splunk Search Processing Language commands
- and best practices
- Create powerful real-time or user-input dashboards
- Be proactive by implementing alerts and scheduled reports
- Tips from the Fez: best practices using Splunk features and add-ons
- Understand security and deployment considerations for taking Splunk to an organizational level
Who this book is for
This book is for the beginners who want to get well versed in the services offered by Splunk 7. If you want to be a data/business analyst or want to be a system administrator, this book is what you want. No prior knowledge of Splunk is required.
Table of Contents
- Splunk - Getting Started
- Bringing in Data
- Search Processing Language
- Reporting, Alerts and Search Optimization
- Dynamic Dashboarding
- Data Models and Pivot
- HTTP Event Collector
- Best Practices and Advanced Queries
- Taking Splunk to the Organization